Saturday, March 6, 2010

Nitwa Ryan, ndi umunyamerika

March, February 4th
Nitwa Ryan, ndi umunyamerika
Has it really only been one week? This question has been asked countless times today. After three days of intensive language, cross culture, safety, and health training its easy to forget that my time in Rwanda has been short…thus far.
Now in Nyanza, we have started learning Kinyarwanda. I honestly have learned more in the last three days than I remember from four years of French. Granted that was in high school, I still am happy to be challenged by the pace set to learn this new language. I can officially introduce myself, ask where people are going, tell them I’m a Peace Corps volunteer (= ndi umukorerabushake…try saying that in one breath), and make small talk. Today we started learning basic verb conjugations which is a whole new battle. We have great LCFs however (Language and Cross Cultural Facilitators) which live with us and teach us Kinyarwanda in and outside of class. They are all between 20-30 years which makes it easy for us to relate to them and ask them about anything. Currently we are in small groups of 5-6 with each LCF so that we really get the one-on-one help when necessary. After three months I’m hoping Kinyarwanda will no longer be as intimidating as it sounds.

There hasn’t been much beyond language class…a few trips to Blue Bar to drink ‘guma guma’ however even then books are brought out and Kinyarwanda is the topic of discussion. Sidenote: ‘guma guma’ actually translates to ‘be strong, be strong’, however people say it as slang for the Primus beer. Its cheap and you can find it anywhere beer is sold…in Rwanda. When I’m not at school I’m at my house aka the Laundry House which houses 12 volunteers and 6 LCFs. It’s the largest house and one of the furthest away from the school house or kitchen house. It’s not a bad thing however because we have the best view: a green forested valley with distant hills faded in the background. I wouldn’t trade the view for anything….well maybe a hot shower once in awhile but cold bucket baths really aren’t that bad. The lack of running water and pit latrines are something we all need to get used to, so I might as well have a great view when I walk to breakfast in the morning.

A bit about the group: We have 37 people altogether in this Health and Community Development cohort. 32 women…5 men…a married couple and an age range of 21-34. We are the third volunteer group (second health group) since Peace Corps returned to Rwanda only a year ago. It’s been great to get to know everyone, a process which I’m looking forward to over the next few months and years.
Top 5 Indications you are in Africa
1. You question whether the noise outside is a baby or a goat. This has happened multiple times
2. You plan your day according to the rain.
3. You are called “Muzungu”
4. You are asked if you’d prefer running water or electricity for the next two years. I chose electricity.
5. Church is 3+ hours. Haven’t gone yet here, but I hear 3 hours is the minimum.

3 comments:

  1. Hey buddy. It's fun to read your blog, and I really love your writing style. It gives me a real sense of being there! Can't wait to hear you spouting off some totally foreign language when I visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Rwanda! Your first entry brought memories back from Burundi. I had plenty of 'guma guma' when I was in Bujumbura last summer! The drink of choice when bottled water could not be found! Looking forward to hearing more about the adventure as it unfolds. And look forward to hearing about your first experience of Church! Be well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have tusker??

    In response to your list...
    1. I hope most of the time it is a baby. For some reason I think this would make for a more silly post in the feature.
    2. I hear rainy season is coming up soon.
    3. It is true. You are white.
    4. Good choice. Now you can tweet haha
    5. In Nairobi it was about 2 hrs...

    ReplyDelete